Friday, October 12, 2007

Birthdays


My birthday is tomorrow so I thought I'd write a quick note about my plans. I told Harry to go ahead and do his morning dive, but then we'd meet up in the afternoon and go to the Fiesta Spa together. I got us the Plumeria package - massage, body scrub, facial and flower bath. We always enjoy that. Harry usually trades in his facial for more massage time, though. When we get back from our spa visit, we plan to go home for a quiet family dinner. Sarah agreed to fix me spaghetti for my birthday dinner (my request). So it should be a nice relaxing day. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I'm hoping Harry enjoys the day, too, since his birthday is 4 days later. Yes, I'm 4 days older. Yes, he teases me about being older for the whole 4 days each year. He has a story justifying his teasing. Today at work, I decided to bring snacks for my whole office. Almost all of my co-workers are Filipino, and I think it is their tradition that the birthday person buys a treat for everyone else. So I thought I'd do things according to their custom this year. I tried to buy some pumpkin and apple pies at a bakery in Garapan, but the purchasing process was taking over 10 minutes of my already ended lunch hour, so I bailed on that idea and went back to work. I thought about it and talked it over with some of the girls at work, and decided to run to Price Costco and buy a box of 40 ice cream treats and some cinnamon rolls. I think the staff all enjoyed that. We usually have pizza or bbq or heavy food, but I think they liked the ice cream snack for a change. My boss always likes ice cream, so I knew I was ok there.
Birthdays are usually fun, but I also use mine to reflect on life in general - the past year and future plans. I have a couple of friends suffering with serious health problems right now, so it has also been a time of being very thankful for my own health, and praying for them to be well soon. My Mom's birthday was just a couple weeks ago, too. I took the time to thank God for the years we shared with her. I still miss her so much (she's been gone for 12 years now), but I'm thankful I was blessed with a kind, gentle and loving Mom. Well, I'll try to post another blog next week updating you on our birthday celebrations. Happy Autumn!

4 comments:

Bev said...

Kelli, I hope you have a wonderful birthday celebrating with the people who are nearest and dearest to you=) Here's to another year of good health, life, love, and new adventures in Saipan. Cheers to you!

Lewie Tenorio said...

Happy Birthday!

You two are looking sharp in that picture.

Life Is Good By Laura said...

Wow! That's a great picture of you two!
Happy Birthday :)
Laura

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!