Friday, September 21, 2007

Remembering



As the fall dinner approaches I was remember-ing our past dinners. Yes, this is the 3rd annual dinner already. I came across this picture while reminiscing about the old dinners. This is Rachel and Bryan. Rachel lived next door to me for one year on Saipan. For a whole year, we laughed, played with our often rowdy dogs, we cried, we shared some of ourselves. It takes me about a year to let a person get to know me very well. I must have trust issues. I realize the policy with some long termers is not to get to know anyone until they've been here for 4 or 5 years, and they plan on staying. I guess the thinking is that it takes a lot to invest in a friendship, and when they leave after a short time, it's heartbreaking and you have to start all over. Well, I've taken a different view on that. I feel I should enjoy the moments I am given with the people that God brings along my path, even if I know that person will only be around for a short time. I'm so glad I did that with Rachel. She's a great person, and I'm guessing we'll be lifelong friends, even if she doesn't live here anymore. Our family sure misses her, but we're also happy to hear about her new life in the states. Most of you probably know Bryan. He's a long termer. Bryan hung out with our family from the time he arrived on island. Even after getting married, he still hangs out with us now and then as they have become adopted family members. He and Hozumi are always a part of the fall potluck dinner parties, too. So I guess the fall parties have become a time to share good fall American food with Saipan "family" and long term and short term friends. I definitely have some treasured memories so far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you also took that view with me: to get to know me/and me you, even though we had no idea how long our time on the island would be. Our friendship has proven to be one of the most fulfilling I've ever had. I still think of you every time I have a tea! Thank you!
Grace

Unknown said...

Ok, so I'm busted. I haven't been keeping up with your blog the way that I would like to. What can I say...I'm back to the crazy, fast paced life of the states. I'm so touched by this entry! I never would have survived Saipan without your friendship and I look forward to our chats for years and years to come!!!